Thursday, June 14, 2007

3x Thursday

1. Are you, or have you ever been in a managerial type position? Do you/did you like it? What about it did you like or not like? If not, would you ever *want* to be in that type of position? Why/why not? I've never been in management really. I was a 'key holder' when I worked at Godiva a few years ago. That's basically a shift supervisor (you assign people tasks, count the registers and have keys to the store). I liked what I was doing for the most part. I got out of doing what I didn't want to do as long as someone else was around. I just didn't like that I was basically doing what the Assistant Manager would do in the store (we didn't have one most of the time I was there), without any of the power or money. If there were problems with employees during a shift, I had to call the boss for his input. I had certain people that got away with murder because he never witnessed what they were doing with me.

2. If you've ever been in a managerial position, have you ever had to fire someone? What was that like? If not, have you ever been fired? What was that like? I was fired once and laid off from 2 other jobs. The lay-offs were from part time jobs so it wasn't that big of a deal. The time that I got fired was bad. I was with the company for 8 years and dealt with so much crap. They let me go for 'tardiness'. Mind you, this generally meant I was 5-10 minutes late after staying 1-2 hrs late most days (I was salaried so I didn't get overtime either). Basically it was just an excuse to get rid of me.

3. At the end of the day, we're all employees, but would you rather be the Boss or the Employee? Why? An employee - while I wouldn't mind being able to run my own business with my husband, I don't think I'd want the pressure of being the boss the rest of the time. A lower level supervisor would be great though.