Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thursday Thirteen



This is my first Thursday Thirteen. I decided to go with a computer related topic - my first computer that is...


Favorite Games on the Commodore 64

1. Below the Root - This is still in my mind one of the best adventure games ever made. I just wish I could stop tearing my damned shuba (if you played, you know what I'm talking about). I have to see if I can figure out how to get to play it again...

2. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? - One of the few educational games that I wanted to play on my own. You had to solve crimes by figuring out where in the world the clues led.

3. Donald Duck's Playground - Really cute game where you had to go around earning money to build more stuff for your playground.

4. Swiss Family Robinson - An adventure game based on the story where you had to find various items on the island and use them in order to survive. I don't remember the specifics of the game itself, but I can remember my Dad making little maps for me of the island on graph paper. It was one of the few games that he would play with me - other than Pitfall on the Atari 2600.

5. Impossible Mission - An action game where you had to go from room to room out smarting the different robot traps that were set up. I spent hours with this one.

6. Alice in Wonderland - An adventure game based on the story book. I've always been obsessed with the story so this was a great one for me.

7. Paperboy - It is honestly as silly as it sounds. You are a paper delivery boy on a bike and you have to deliver the newspaper to the correct houses without getting run over, chased by dogs, or otherwise knocked over.

8. Q-Bert - A pyramid with cubes that changed color when you hopped on them. You were a funny looking little guy with a big head, tiny feet and a suction cup like nose.

9. Little Computer People - The first version of a computerized 'pet' that I ever had. A little man that lived in your computer would eventually move into the house provided. You would need to keep his basic needs met and could watch him do little things around the house. Not overly stimulating, but fun for an 8 year old.

10. Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego? - Basically the same game as the Where in the World, but this time in the good old U S of A.

11. Leisure Suit Larry - A naughty adventure game that I shouldn't have had as a teenager, but my parents didn't know any better ;)

12. Music Video Maker (I'm not sure of the title) - This was a fun little program where you made little music videos by plugging in preset elements such as keyboards, dancing girls, etc.

13. Storybook Maker (I'm not sure of the title) - Probably my first non-school related foray into writing. You would make up a story with the pre-made segments. When you were done, you could print them out, if you had about 3 days and 5 printer cartridges.